St. George Parish Parroquia de San Jorge

    9546 S Ewing Avenue Chicago Il. 60617-5155

    -FR Armando Morales 773)734-0554

     e-mail: st1730@att.net

    NEW and EXCITING! Find us on Facebook and click LIKE!

    https://www.facebook.com/9546Ewing/ 

 

For the newest bulletin;

Click aquie para el bulletin nuevo:  

http://seekandfind.com/directory/st.-george-church_16.html

St. George Roman Catholic Church Vicariate VI Deanery C

PARISH OFFICE / OFICINA PARROQUIAL (773) 734-0554 FAX(773) 734-3327 website : www.stgeorge-sanjorge.org e-mail: st1730@att.net

PARISH STAFF / EQUIPO PARROQUIAL Rev. Pastor Armando Morales-Martínez Secretary Rose Tomasich

OFFICE HOURS / HORARIO DE OFICINA Monday - Friday Lunes a Viernes………. 9:30am-5:00pm

CO-ORDINATOR OF RELIGIOUS EDUCATION CO-ORDINADORA DE EDUCACIÓN RELIGIOSA Mrs./Sra. Eustolia Sandoval (773) 734-0554

CO-ORDINATOR OF OUR MINISTRY TO THE SICK CO-ORDINADORES DEL MINISTERIO A LOS ENFERMOS Betty Krcmaric, Juan P. Álvarez and Claudia Paolone

MINISTERS OF MUSIC / MINISTROS DE MÚSICA Tom Marks, José Hernández & Mago Ortíz

SACRAMENTS / SACRAMENTOS MASS SCHEDULE / HORARIO DE MISA:

Saturday / Sábado(English) ……………………. 4:00 pm Sunday / Domingo (English)….…………………. 9:00 am Sunday / Domingo (Español)…………………… 12:00 pm Weekdays: MTWF / Entre Semana: LMMV…… 8:30 am Weekdays Mass: M/Eng - T/Bi-Ling. W/Eng—F/Bi-Ling Misa Entre Semana: L –Ing. Mar. Bi-L Mier/Ing - V/Bilingüe

HOLY DAYS OF OBLIGATION / DÍAS DE PRECEPTO Read the Sunday Bulletin for dates and times of the Masses Lea el boletín dominical para las fechas y los tiempos de las Misas.

RECONCILIATION / CONFESIONES Saturday / Sábado …………………… ………..3:30 pm Or by appointment / Por cita


HOME VISITS TO SHUT-INS / VISITAS EN EL HOGAR A LOS ENFERMOS Holy Communion is taken regularly to shut-ins. Call the rectory to arrange visits.
La Santa Comunión se lleva a los enfermos regularmente. Llame a la rectoría para arreglar visitas. HORA SANTA CON JESÚS SACRAMENTADO PRIMER DOMINGO DE CADA MES Después de la Misa de 12PM


BAPTISMS / BAUTISMOS Baptismal celebration in English are the second and fourth Saturday of each month at 11:00am Please call the rectory to make arrangements.
Los Bautismos en español se celebran cada primer y tercer sábado de cada mes a las 11:00am Por favor llame a la oficina para hacer arreglos. MATRIMONY / MATRIMONIO: Congratulations! Talk to a priest six months before the day of your wedding. ¡Felicidades! Llame a la rectoría 6 meses antes.


QUINCEAÑERAS / COTILLIONS Talk to a priest six months before the date of your celebration
 

NEW PARISHIONERS / NUEVOS PARROQUIANOS CHANGE OF ADDRESS/ CAMBIO DE DOMICILIO We welcome you to our Parish Community. Please come to the Parish Office to register. If there is a change of address, please contact the office.
Les damos la bienvenida a Nuestra Parroquia. Pase a la oficina, si desea registrarse. Si hay algún cambio de dirección, por favor déjelo saber en la oficina.
 

History- Serving Chicago's East Side Community Since 1903

     St. George Church began in June of 1903. The Slovenian
immigrant population that came to Southeast Chicago became so numerous that it
got to the point where there was a need to organize a church. Rev. Pleunik
purchased the church site, originally located at 95th Street between Avenues M
and N. With the purchase of this site, a committee petitioned in 1902 to have
the Archbishop of Chicago aid them in obtaining a Slovenian priest. Rev. John
Kranjec of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, responded to the call.

     The first thing he did was purchase three additional lots on Ewing Avenue at 96th Street, because
the original site was not large enough. During the eight months prior to the
building of the church, Sunday Masses were held in the old Eagle Hall on Houston
Avenue in South Chicago.

     The original intention was to build a small wooden
church, but with the turn of the century, there was a gradual expansion of
industry in the Calumet region. So the wooden church project was turned into a
large brick structure, with the amount of this project increasing to $30,000.
The initial ground was broken on June 26, 1903.

      The parishioners had volunteered and within a weeks time, had dug out the foundation and laid in the first stone.
Construction went smoothly, and the first Holy Mass was celebrated on December
6, 1903. The actual dedication did not occur until June 19, 1904, to permit the
completion of the interior.

      Around 1912, a calamity developed when the Croatian
membership of the parish separated themselves from St. George to create and
develop their own church and school, Sacred Heart in neighboring South Deering.


St. George Church also had a significant number of Italians in their parish. The
interior of the church was completely redecorated, with a mural painting done by
Slovenian artist, John Gosar, in 1924. Four years later, in 1928 , the church
celebrated its 25th anniversary, stained glass windows were installed, and
massive statuary of the stations of the cross were added. Ground was broken in
the fall of 1949 for a school.

     Work progressed rapidly, and six lower grades
opened in September of 1950. In 1978, the church celebrated its Diamond Jubilee,
of over 75 years of service. The church continues to serve but the school closed
in the 1990's due to declining enrollment.

Historia al servicio de comunidad del East Side de Chicago desde 1903
       La Iglesia de San Jorge comenzó en junio de 1903. La población inmigrante de Esloveno que llegó al sureste de Chicago se convirtió en tan numerosos que consiguió al punto donde había una necesidad de organizar una iglesia. Reverendo Pleunik compró el sitio iglesia, originalmente ubicado en la calle 95 entre avenidas M y N. Con la compra de este sitio, una Comisión presentó en 1902 que el arzobispo de Chicago les ayudo en la obtención de un sacerdote Esloveno. Reverendo John Kranjec de Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, respondieron a la llamada.

     Lo primero que hizo fue comprar tres lotes adicionales en la Avenida de Ewing en 96th Street, ya que el sitio original no fue lo suficientemente grande. Durante los ocho meses antes de la construcción de la iglesia, las misas dominicales se celebraron en el viejo pasillo de Eagle en Houston Avenue en Chicago del sur.

     La intención original era construir una pequeña iglesia de madera, pero con la vuelta del siglo, hubo una gradual expansión de la industria en la región de Calumet. Así que el proyecto de iglesia de madera se convirtió en una estructura de ladrillo grande, con la cantidad de este proyecto aumenta a $30.000.
El terreno inicial fue roto en 26 de Junio de 1903.

    Los feligreses se había ofrecido voluntariamente y en un plazo de semanas, habían acavado hacia fuera de la Fundación y puso la primera piedra.
Construcción fue sin problemas, y la primera Misa se celebró el 06 de Diciembre de 1903. La dedicación real no ocurrió hasta el 19 de Junio de 1904, para permitir la terminación del interior.

    Alrededor de 1912, una calamidad se desarrollo cuando el miembro croata de la parroquia se separó de San Jorge para crear y desarrollar su propia iglesia y escuela, Sagrado Corazón en el vecino del Sur Deering.

    San Jorge también tuvo un importante número de Italianos en su parroquia. El interior de la iglesia fue totalmente renovado, con una pintura mural realizada por el artista esloveno, John Gosar, en 1924. Cuatro años más tarde, en 1928, la Iglesia celebra su 25 aniversario, se instalaron ventanas de cristal manchadas, y enormes estatuas de las estaciones de la Cruz fueron agregados. Tierra estaba quebrada en el otoño de 1949 para una escuela.

      Trabajo progresó rápidamente, y seis grados menor abrió sus puertas en Septiembre de 1950. En 1978, la iglesia celebró su jubileo de diamante, de más de 75 años de servicio. La iglesia sigue sirviendo pero la escuela cerró en la década de 1990 debido a la disminución de la matrícula.

    

 

COMMENTATORS FOR ENGLISH MASSES

Anthony Carosella , Miguel Gaytan, Claudia Paolone  , Matthew Kalwasinski , Lucy Flores, Bob Oberman, Rich Udovic , Tony Silos

 

Webmaster of Free WEBSITE FOR OUR CHURCH / Parishioner

Tony Silos / Wendy Silos

Updated 10/23/2016